ACIL LACMO Launch Conference: ‘Rise and Fall of ISIS'
Organized and hosted by the Research Group “ Law of Armed Conflict and Military Operations” which is part of the Amsterdam Center for International Law (ACIL) and by the Faculty of Military Sciences of the Netherlands Defence Academy.
The Conference “ Rise and Fall of ISIS” is a conference organized and hosted by the Research Group “ Law of Armed Conflict and Military Operations” which is part of the Amsterdam Center for International Law (ACIL) and by the Faculty of Military Sciences of the Netherlands Defence Academy. The conference will mark the launch of a new international research network under the acronym LACMO which brings together 16 different institutions in Europe and North America which are engaged in research on international law and its application to armed conflict, contemporary military operations and related issues. Many of them will be participating in this launch conference and other events are planned for the coming months.
The conference examines the strategic, international political and especially the legal issues and controversies surrounding the rise of the extremist armed movement referred to by various names ( IS, ISIS, ISIL Daesh) and the campaign by an international coalition of regional Middle Eastern and Western States which succeeded in bringing about its defeat in the Spring of 2018. It will be attended by members of the participating institutions in the LACMO Research network and a limited number of participants from the rest of ACIL.
- Robert Johnson, University of Oxford
- Terry Gill, University of Amsterdam
- Frans Osinga, Netherlands Defence Academy
- Wystse van den Berg, Netherlands Defence Academy
- Kinga Tibori Szabo, University of Amsterdam
- Shane Reeves , U.S. Military Academy
- Paul Ducheine, University of Amsterdam / Netherlands Defence Academy
- Mike Schmitt, US Naval War College
- Ben Lambeth, CSBA
- Johan van Deventer, Royal Netherlands Air Force
- Shane Reeves, US Military Academy
- Eric Myjer, Utrecht University
- Christophe Paulussen, TMC Asser Institute
- Jan Wouters, KU Keuven
- Bas Rietjens, Netherlands Defence Academy
- Naz Modirzadeh, Harvard Law School
- Katherine Fortin, Utrecht University
- Federica Favuzza, University of Milan
- Jann Kleffner, Swedish National Defence University
Participation is by invitation only. Those interested in participating can contact Terry Gill at T.D.Gill@uva.nl indicating their interest.
Koninklijk Instituut voor de Tropen (Royal Institute of the Tropics), ‘Subtropen’ Room, Mauritskade 63, 1092 AD Amsterdam