Summer School 'The Law and Practice of International Dispute Settlement'
This event provides the opportunity to interact with a diverse group of internationally renowned lecturers and practitioners, to gain a cutting-edge insight into the dynamic field of international dispute settlement.
The Summer School will explore both pressing and perennial issues in international adjudication and dispute settlement, from the combined perspectives of practice and public interests. We will critically examine together how processes of dispute settlement are structured, and how different mechanisms of dispute settlement compare. We will also consider the practical constraints that lawyers and judges encounter at all levels of the international adjudicatory process. We will in addition take a step back, to query how the thriving practice of international courts and tribunals may be understood and assessed.
The Summer School is organized by the ACIL, in cooperation with the T.M.C. Asser Institute.
Our programme will explore the past, present and future of international dispute settlement, and interrogate its contradictions, by immersion in today’s most compelling controversies and issues. The Summer School will also provide essential exposure through organised study visits to prominent institutions in The Hague. At the end of the programme, participants will enjoy comprehensive insight into the contentious field of international dispute settlement, its opportunities and its dilemmas. The programme will be delivered by:
- Prof. Dr Laurence Boisson de Chazournes (University of Geneva)
- Prof. Dr Armin von Bogdandy (Max Planck Institute Heidelberg)
- Prof. Dr Hélène Ruiz Fabri (Max Planck Institute Luxembourg)
- Prof. Dr Maxi Scherer (Queen Mary University; Wilmer Cutler Pickering & Hale)
- Prof. Dr Stephan Schill (ACIL, University of Amsterdam)
- Prof. Mr Winfried van den Muijsenbergh (AKD)
- Prof. Dr Olivier Corten (Université Libre de Bruxelles)
- Dr Ingo Venzke (ACIL, University of Amsterdam)
- Dr Geoff Gordon (Asser Institute)
- Gain integrated insights into the contemporary law and practice of international courts and tribunals;
- Examine the most pressing controversies in dispute settlement practices today;
- Explore the functions and purposes of international adjudication, as well as their contradictions, in today’s changing social and political environment; and
- Interact with a diverse group of internationally renowned lecturers, drawing on their experience at the highest levels of academia and practice.
Our Summer School is designed for PhD students; other scholars and students interested in the field; members of diplomatic staffs; private and public practitioners in the field of international dispute settlement; experts and other professionals interested in the field; and members of related research and practice centres.
Participation & Registration
To register for the summer programme, please fill out the form at: http://data.asser.nl/onlineforms/spids2017.aspx
Please read the Registration Information & Conditions carefully before registration.
Application deadline: 18 June 2017
(PhD) students: € 700 / Regular: € 1495
This fee includes lectures, study materials, study visits, water/tea/coffee and lunch during working days, a reception and an opening dinner. The fee does not cover (international) travel costs, domestic travel to and from airports, (hotel) accommodation, insurance or other expenses. The T.M.C. Asser Instituut can provide prospective participants with a list of suitable hotels in The Hague.
For more information or questions please contact email@example.com.