Ms C.S. (Christiane) Ahlborn
Faculty of Law
Public International Law
Nieuwe Achtergracht 166
1000 BA Amsterdam
Christiane Ahlborn has been a Ph.D. researcher at the
Amsterdam Center for International Law (ACIL), University of
Amsterdam, since 2009. Her Ph.D. research focuses on the
responsibility of member states of international organizations
and is based within the ACIL Project on Shared Responsibility
in International Law (SHARES).
Christiane is currently also a Co-Rapporteur of the Study Group on the Responsibility of International Organizations of the International Law Assocation (ILA).
Before joining the ACIL, she received a Master's degree in International Law (M.I.S./LL.M.) from the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva, including an exchange semester at Harvard Law School. Her Master's thesis on "The Development of International Refugee Protection through the Practice of the UN Security Council" was awarded the Mariano GarciaRubio Prize 2009. Christiane also studied law and international relations (B.A. excellent with honors) at the University of Dresden, Germany, and the Institut d'Etudes Politiques Strasbourg, France.
She has previous work experience with the German Development Cooperation (GTZ) in Rwanda and Human Rights Watch in New York. Moreover, she has worked as a junior consultant for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in Geneva, Switzerland.
Ahlborn, C., 'Shared Responsibility between International
Organizations and States', presentation given at the Institute
for International Law of Peace and Armed Conflict, Ruhr
University Bochum, 19 April 2012.
Ahlborn, C., 'The Division of Responsibility between States and International Organizations: A Need of "Reparation for Injuries"?', presentation given at the conference on Foundations of Shared Responsibility in International Law, University of Amsterdam, 17-18 November 2011.
Ahlborn, C., 'Remedies against International Organizations', presentation given at the Colloquium of the Centre for Studies and Research of the Hague Academy of International Law, The Hague, 2 September 2011.
Ahlborn, C., 'Contractualism v. Constitutionalism in International Institutional Law: The Example of the 'Rules of the Organization"', paper presented at the COST PhD Training School Vices and Virtues of International Constitutionalism, European University Institute, Florence, 20-22 October 2011.
Ahlborn, C., 'Transparency and Public Participation in WTO Dispute Settlement', paper presented for the Center for International Environmental Law (CIEL) at the WTO Ministerial Conference, Geneva, 2 December 2009.
- Ahlborn, C. (2013). To share or not to share? The allocation of responsibility between international organizations and their member states. Die Friedens-Warte, 88(3-4), 45-75. [details]
- Ahlborn, C. (2011). The normative erosion of international refugee protection through UN Security Council practice. Leiden Journal of International Law, 24(4), 1009-1027. DOI: 10.1017/S0922156511000471 [details]
- Ahlborn, C. (2011). The rules of international organizations and the law of international responsibility. International Organizations Law Review, 8(2), 397-482. DOI: 10.1163/157237411X634970 [details]
- Ahlborn, C. (2016). Arab Organization for Industrialization and others v Westland Helicopters Ltd, Swiss Federal Supreme Court (First Civil Court), 19 July 1988, 80 ILR 652. In C. Ryngaert, I. F. Dekker, R. A. Wessel, & J. Wouters (Eds.), Judicial Decisions on the Law of International Organizations (pp. 277-285). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Ahlborn, C. (2016). Westland Helicopters Ltd v Arab Organization for Industrialization, United Arab Emirates, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, State of Qatar, Arab Republic of Egypt, and Arab British Helicopter Company, Arbitration, 5 March 1984, 80 ILR 600. In C. Ryngaert, I. F. Dekker, R. A. Wessel, & J. Wouters (Eds.), Judicial Decisions on the Law of International Organizations (pp. 268-276). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Ahlborn, C. (2010). The development of international refugee protection through the practice of the UN Security Council. (eCahiers de l'Institut = Graduate Institute ePapers; No. 6). Geneva: The Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies. [details]
- Ahlborn, C. S., & Pfitzer, J. H. (2009). Transparency and public participation in WTO dispute settlement. (CIEL publications. Trade & sustainable development). Washington, DC [etc.]: Center for International Environmental Law. [details]