mr. J.C. (Jeroen) van den Boogaard
Faculty of Law
Nieuwe Achtergracht 166
1000 BA Amsterdam
mr. J.C. van den Boogaard
Jeroen van den Boogaard is Lecturer at the Amsterdam Law School , teaching International Humanitarian Law. Jeroen van den Boogaard is also Assistant Professor Military Law at the at the Faculty of the Netherlands Defence Academy .
Jeroen van den Boogaard is currently working on a phd on the subject of international humanitarian law. He is a former Head and Legal Adviser of the International Humanitarian Law Department of the Netherlands Red Cross and a former military lawyer in the Royal Netherlands Army. He is co-convenor of the The Hague Initiative for Law and Armed Conflict, member of the Netherlands Research Forum on the Law of Armed Conflict and Peace Operations (LACPO). He is also a board member of the "Militair Rechtelijke Vereniging" and member of the International Society for Military Law and the Law of War,
The research of mr. Van Den Boogaard is on international humanitarian law. His research is conducted within the programme on 'The Role of Law in Armed Conflict and Peace Operations' at the Amsterdam Center for International Law and within the context of the Research Forum on the Law of Armed Conflict and Peace Operations (LACPO), which brings together researchers from the Netherlands Defence Academy, the TMC Asser Institute of International Law and the Faculty of Law of the University of Amsterdam. The subject of his PhD research is The principle of proportionality in armed conflict.
Jeroen van den Boogaard has been a visiting Lecturer at the Free University of Amsterdam, the University of Groningen , the Erasmus University of Rotterdam, Leiden University and the University of Tilburg . Also, he has taught in different courses at most military training centres in the Netherlands and the Netherlands Defence Academy .
Recent and forthcoming key publications include:
- Proportionality and Autonomous Weapons Systems. Journal of International Humanitarian Legal Studies, 6 (2) (2015), 247-283.
- Fighting by the principles: principles as a source of international humanitarian law. In M. Matthee, B. Toebes & M. Brus (Eds.), Armed conflict and international law: in search of the human face. Liber amicorum in memory of Avril McDonald (pp. 3-31). (2013), The Hague: T.M.C. Asser Press.
- Voorzorgsmaatregelen bij aanvallen en de legaliteit van de knock on the roof methode. Militair Rechtelijk Tijdschrift, 104 (5), 20111, pp. 262-275.
- 'Definitie van Gewapend Conflict: hoe 'binnenlands' is "niet-internationaal"?', Nederlands Juristen Blad, vol. 38, 2008, pp. 2414- 2418 (Definition of 'armed conflict': how 'internal' is non-international?" Netherlands weekly for lawyers, with Rogier Bartels).
- van den Boogaard, J. C. (2017). Knock on the Roof: Legitimate Warning or Method of Warfare? Yearbook of International Humanitarian Law, 19, 183-210. .
- van den Boogaard, J. C. (2013). Fighting by the principles: principles as a source of international humanitarian law. In M. Matthee, B. Toebes, & M. Brus (Eds.), Armed conflict and international law: in search of the human face: Liber amicorum in memory of Avril McDonald (pp. 3-31). The Hague: Asser Press. DOI: 10.1007/978-90-6704-918-4_1 [details]
- van den Boogaard, J. C. (2011). Voorzorgsmaatregelen bij aanvallen en de legaliteit van de knock on the roof methode. Militair Rechtelijk Tijdschrift, 104(5), 262-275. [details]