Dr M. (Markos) Karavias
Faculty of Law
Public International Law
Oudemanhuispoort 4-6 Amsterdam
1012 CN Amsterdam
Markos Karavias is Assistant Professor in International Law at the Amsterdam Center for International Law. Markos joined the ACIL in June 2014 as a post-doctoral researcher, working for the research project 'Smart Mixes in relation to Transboundary Environmental Harm'. Prior to joining the ACIL, he served as a Special Adviser to the Minister for Environment, Energy and Climate Change of the Hellenic Republic. He is a Member of the Athens Bar Association.
Markos' research interests include public international law, with a focus on environmental, human rights and refugee law, and corporate governance. He holds an LL.B. and a Master's in International Studies from the Law Faculty of the University of Athens, as well as an M.Jur and a D.Phil. from the Law Faculty of the University of Oxford. While studying in Oxford, Markos acted as a Graduate Teaching Assistant in Public International Law.
His doctoral thesis, entitled 'Corporate Obligations under International Law' was published in OUP's Oxford Monographs in International Law series in November 2013.
- Karavias, M. (2014). Non-State actors in control of territory as 'actors of protection' in international refugee law. Revue Belge de Droit International, 48(2), 487-507. [details] [PDF]
- Karavias, M. (2014). Treaty law and multinational enterprises: more than internationalized contracts? In C. J. Tams, A. Tzanakopoulos, & A. Zimmermann (Eds.), Research Handbook on the Law of Treaties. (pp. 579-624). (Research Handbooks in International Law). Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing. DOI: 10.4337/9780857934789.00031 [details]
- Karavias, M. (2013). Corporate Obligations under International Law. (Oxford Monographs in International Law). Oxford: Oxford University Press. [details]
- Karavias, M. (Author). (2016). 12 Years an Asylum Seeker: Failure of States to Deal With Asylum Applications May Breach Applicants’ Right to Respect for Their Private Life. EJIL: Talk!. [details]
- Karavias, Markos (participant) (15-4-2016): Smart Mixes in Relation to Transboundary Environmental Harm (organising a conference, workshop, ...).
- No ancillary activities