Mr V. (Vid) Prislan LLM
Faculty of Law
Public International Law
Nieuwe Achtergracht 166
1001 NJ Amsterdam
Vid Prislan has been a postdoctoral researcher at the Amsterdam Center for International Law (ACIL) since October 2018. Prior to joining ACIL, Vid worked as Research Fellow and doctoral candidate at the Grotius Centre for International Legal Studies, Leiden University, where he lectured in the LLM programme in Public International Law and conducted research on the role of domestic courts in investor-State arbitration. Vid obtained degrees in Dutch law (LL.B.) and public international law (LL.M., cum laude) from Leiden University, and international relations (Graduate Diploma / B.A.) from the University of Ljubljana, Slovenia. In addition to his work at ACIL, Vid serves as one of the Book-Review Editors of the Leiden Journal of International Law.
As part of his postdoc research at ACIL, Vid will be exploring the interface between investment treaty arbitration and the internet economy, and particularly, the extent to which the current legal framework offering protection to foreign investments can accommodate the operations of internet companies. He will also continue with his research on the interaction between investment tribunals and domestic courts, with particular emphasis on the interpretation and application of domestic law by investment arbitral tribunals and the standard of review that the latter apply when reviewing domestic judicial decisions. Vid also continues to be interested in other aspects of foreign investment law, especially in the interaction of the latter with other subfields of public international law.
- Prislan, V. (2017). Domestic explanatory documents and treaty interpretation. International and Comparative Law Quarterly, 66(4), 923-962. DOI: 10.1017/S0020589317000392
- Schrijver, N. J., & Prislan, V. (2015). Cases Concerning Sovereignty over Islands before the International Court of Justice and the Dokdo/Takeshima Issue. Ocean Development and International Law, 46(4), 281-314. DOI: 10.1080/00908320.2015.1089740
- Prislan, V., & Zandvliet, R. (2015). Mainstreaming sustainable development into international investment agreements: What role for labor provisions? In International Investment Law and Development: Bridging the Gap (pp. 390-422). Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd. DOI: 10.4337/9781784711351.00024
- Baetens, F., & Prislan, V. (2014). The dissemination of international scholarship: The future of books and book reviews. Leiden Journal of International Law, 27(3), 559-569. DOI: 10.1017/S0922156514000193
- Prislan, V. (2010). Non-investment obligations in investment treaty arbitration: Towards a greater role for states? In Investment Law Within International Law: Integrationist Perspectives (pp. 450-481). Cambridge University Press. DOI: 10.1017/CBO9781139855921.028
- Schrijver, N., & Prislan, V. (2009). From Mare liberum to the global commons: Building on the Grotian heritage. Grotiana, 30(1), 168-206. DOI: 10.1163/016738309X12537002674484