Ms H.L. (Heather) Bray LLM
Faculty of Law
Public International Law
Oudemanhuispoort 4-6 Amsterdam
1012 CN Amsterdam
Heather L. Bray joined the Amsterdam Center for International Law (ACIL) as a PhD researcher. Her PhD research is part of the Lex Mercatoria Publica Project directed by Dr. Stephan Schill. Her thesis focuses on the historical practice of private-public arbitration that have taken place in institutionalized international claims commissions primarily between the nineteenth and twentieth centuries and specifically assessing their contribution to the modern practice of private-public arbitration. She is recipient of the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Doctoral Fellowship to assist with her archival research. She is currently assistant editor for the Journal of World Investment and Trade (JWIT).
Ms. Bray completed an Articling Placement in Ontario, Canada with Dr. Todd Weiler in the area of international investment and commercial arbitration. She also was a Legal Research Associate with Juris Publishing developing Arbitrationlaw.com, an online legal database dedicated to international arbitration. Ms. Bray completed a thesis-based LLM in Business Law and Taxation at the University of Western Ontario. Ms. Bray is a Barrister and Solicitor of the Law Society of Upper Canada. She holds an LLB from the University of New Brunswick and a BA in Justice Studies from Royal Roads University.
- Schill, S. W., & Bray, H. L. (2015). Good faith limitations on protected investments and corporate structuring. In A. D. Mitchell, M. Sornarajah, & T. Voon (Eds.), Good faith and international economic law (pp. 88-116). (International economic law series). Oxford: Oxford University Press. DOI: 10.1093/acprof:oso/9780198739791.003.0005 [details]
- Bray, H. L. (2014). ICSID and the Right to Water: An Ingredient in the Stone Soup. ICSID Review, 29(2), 474-483. DOI: 10.1093/icsidreview/sit055
- Bray, H. L. (2014). [Review of: K. Daele (2012) Challenge and disqualification of arbitrators in international arbitration]. The Journal of World Investment & Trade, 15(1-2), 338-344. DOI: 10.1163/22129000-01502015
- Bray, H. L. (2013). SOI - Save Our Investments! International Investment Law and International Humanitarian Law. The Journal of World Investment & Trade, 14(3), 578-594. DOI: 10.1163/22119000-01403006
- Bray, H. L. (2012). The Neer Rumour. Hague Yearbook of International Law, 25, 201-219.
- Weiler, T., Bray, H., & Bray, D. (2012). Are United States Courts Receptive to International Arbitration? American University International Law Review, 27(4), 869-891.
- Bray, H. L. (2013). Preliminary objections under CAFTA-DR: the placebo effect. In I. A. Laird, B. Sabahi, F. G. Sourgens, & T. J. Weiler (Eds.), Investment treaty arbitration and international law. - Vol. 6 (pp. 13-28). Huntington, NY: Juris.
- Bray, H. L. (2012). The Advancement of International Law by Charles Leben - Book Review. TDM.